Forum Index

�

ProfileProfile - Log inLog in - RegisterRegister
SearchSearch - MemberlistMemberlist - UsergroupsUsergroups
FAQFAQ - UserguideUserguide

What is Bharatanatyam
by Dr. Pattabhiraman, in "Sruti" (Chennai, India)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post a new article   Comment this article    Forum Index > The Bharata Natya tradition
View previous article :: View next article  
Posted by Text
Radhika Chandra

PostPost title: Understanding Bharatanatya
Posted: Sat 07 Feb, 2004 11:18 pm
Comment with quote

Thank you Mamata Aunty for posting this article so we all can have more education on what Bharatanatya is.

When I was younger, I thought Bharatanatya was just some form of Indian dance. But after reading this informative article, I realized what Bharatanatya really is. It is truly a dance of India. The performances may be based on ancient gods and goddesses. Its technique can be used to present themes from different faiths such as Christian, Buddhist and Islamic themes which represent the different religions and cultures in India and around the world.

This article has answered many questions I used to ask myself. Why do we wear a salwaar cameez when practicing? While dancing Bharatanatya, it is important to wear a salwaar cameez to stay in character and be focused while dancing. The dance wouldn?t look as traditional either.

In Bharatanatya, why do we have Ardhamandali? We have Ardhamandali to give a better affect to the dance. With Ardhamandali, the moves would be more geometrical.

Now, Bharatanatya is not only just a form of Indian classical dance but it is also a beautiful art form that includes, passion, devotion and dedication.

Radhika Chandra
(Kala Bharati student)
Post a new article   Comment this article    Forum Index > The Bharata Natya tradition All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: