Post a new article   Comment this article    Forum Index > Dance and the Child
View previous article :: View next article  
Posted by Text
Nakrabm

PostPost title: Comments by Indira Kadambi, BN dancer and teacher, Chennai
Posted: Wed 04 May, 2005 11:06 pm
Comment with quote

Hi mamata,

Congradulations and Thank you so much for sending the book!....it is so well done..It is such a wonderful contribution to the dance world.
I am here IN uSA touring with Priya Govind and Sangeeta Isvaran..Kalanidhi maami is also with us..we are performing Gita govindam (abhinaya)..at Toronto on 15th may..Can u make it! I will looking forward to seeing you. I hope we could meet !

love
indira
Nakrabm

PostPost title: Comments by Sampa Ghosh & Dr.Utpal Banerjee of Delhi
Posted: Sun 08 May, 2005 8:32 am
Comment with quote

A TRIBUTE TO SHISHU SADHANA

A child’s education anywhere has always been a tricky task. It needs getting close to the child’s psyche, and use of symbols and metaphors that can easily catch the child’s mind and imagination. But, above all, it needs the caring touch of love and affection to enter a world, which adults have forsaken long, long ago.

The genre of classical dances belongs to a different world altogether, where devout dedication and consummate skills are a pre-requisite. To hold a child by hand and let her enter into this highly traditional and disciplined art requires a methodology that is not easily come by. Dr. Mamata Niyogi-Nakra’s life-long devotion to Bharatanatyam, her assiduous propagation of the style in an alien soil and her striking roots in the mainstream cultural genres thousands of miles away from India are already stuff legends are made of. Now that she has taken upon herself the endeavour to bring Bharatanatyam art form into the joyous and vivid world of a child’s cannot but be admired, -- especially for a work of this manner and magnitude.

Ancient India has a tradition of building up a Yajna (sacrificial fire) literally from its foundations: identifying the suitable site, purifying the building blocks, establishing the sacred geometry and letting the fire light up in all its glory and consecrated to the gods. The steps that Dr Niyogi-Nakra have taken are reminiscent of these sacred Indian rites, and the build-up is as elaborate and as methodical as Yajna
and with as dazzling an outcome.

Shishu Sadhana is a work of consummate art and reveals an extraordinarily novel approach to the world of child’s education, to which one can only show due reverence.

--- Sampa Ghosh and Utpal K Banerjee
Nakrabm

PostPost title: comments by Sumathi, a Chennai based artist and webmaster
Posted: Mon 09 May, 2005 8:03 pm
Comment with quote

Dear Ms Mamata

Thank you. I received the book & DVD. Though I have no training in either music or dance, I could see the great effort that had gone into creating thebook & the DVD. Your commitment to the project is clearly visible in your gesture to offer such a researched project for free. I hope it reaches those who would wholly benefit from it.

Regards
Sumathi
Nakrabm

PostPost title: Sonal Mansingh, Oddisi and Bharata Natya dancer from Delhi
Posted: Sun 15 May, 2005 9:17 am
Comment with quote

Dear Mamata di,

Thank you so much for sending me your tribute to Sir and the books. I am going to present one to the President of India on Tuesday as an example of the kind of work SNA ought to be doing. It was a short but fulfilling and delightful hour you spent with me. I value your being there and for the good of the art that we love so much. I would like you to do workshops for SNA/CICD on your next visit, so do weave it in much in advance.

With warmest regards,

Affectionately,

Sonal

SNA Sangeet Natak Academy (Sonal Mansingh is the Chairman of SNA)
CICD Centre for Classical Indian Dances (Her own instituition)
Nakrabm

PostPost title: sudarshan Chakravarty, Kolkata based Dancer, Choreographer
Posted: Tue 17 May, 2005 12:21 pm
Comment with quote

Dear Mamatadi,
I have been working for the past 13 years now and have been actively involved in choreographing and producing ballets and presenting it in major art events and concerts all over India and abroad. In my keenness to broaden the spectrum of arts and widen the acceptability of contemporary India n dance I also started together with my ensemble an International Arts Festival in Kolkata called INTERFACE.

But now at this point of my journey I am forced to think of the futility of the legacy of arts if not shouldered by the aesthetically inclined new generation. At this time of fragmentation and violence we are only offering a legacy of fear, mistrust and agony to the new generation and so how do we expect them to be art sensitive.
Perhaps we really need now the concept of SHISHU SADHANA…

I have interpreted the concept as the SADHANA (Penance) of not the Shishu(Child) but it is the penance, endurance , patience and discipline of the parents/teachers to bring up a child and ensure his/her all round development. In the light of SHISHU SADHANA I really think its my calling to take it up as my project in SAPPHIRE through the creation of the school section of SAPPHIRE.

I am sure that you and your organization KALABHARATI will extend all your support and give a helping hand in the pursuance of our SADHANA to develop and equip the SHISHU in the perspective of dance, music and the arts.

Need all your blessings and good wishes.
Regards
Sudarshan
Nakrabm

PostPost title: Suchitra Sairam is a U.S. based Bharata Natya dancer
Posted: Tue 17 May, 2005 12:41 pm
Comment with quote

Dear Mamataji
I am a Bharatanatyam dancer based in St. Paul, MN. I recently came across your website, and your newly released 'Shishu Sadhana' DVD - I am very interested in learning about your experiences teaching small children. I would really like to get the DVD, and am happy to make a donation toward the project if you are not accepting any fee for the DVD.

I also just recently became aware of the teacher program you had a couple of years ago - it sounds like it was a wonderful collection of activities. Isthere any chance that you will be doing it again? I would be very interested in attending.

Also, I offer my condolences in the loss of your guru, Sri U.S. Krishna Rao. He was a giant in the field - we can all only hope to emulate his and
Chandrabhaga Devi's devotion to the art.

Thank you, and best regards,
Suchitra Sairam
Nakrabm

PostPost title: U.K.Jayadev is Guru Krishna Rao & Chandrabhaga Devi's so
Posted: Tue 17 May, 2005 12:51 pm
Comment with quote

Dear Mamata,
Last night Bans had called enquiring about a DVD and a book.
Lo and behold the packet arrived this afternoon.
I have shown the book to my father. It is beautifully brought out. He will get one of his students to read out the book.

Just now played the DVD as soon as I received your email. IT IS WORKING JUST FINE!! We have PAL system as you know and the entire presentation is wonderful. The quote from Maya Angelou at the beginning is very apt.

Father's blessings are always there for you. I will ensure that he sees this DVD
Love,
Jayadev

Last edited by Nakrabm on Sat 21 May, 2005 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Nakrabm

PostPost title: Ramaa Bharadvaj- U.S. based bharata Natya dancer and teacher
Posted: Fri 20 May, 2005 3:58 pm
Comment with quote

dear mamata

I am totally fascinated by this e-mail and the info - child friendly bharatanatyam training - what a neat concept - the only other person that i can even associate with this kind of training in a serious is Jacques De Amboise in New York and his National Dance Insititue. I wish you were invited here this weekend for the Dance Conversations convention to share your techiniques and the process of development etc. congratulations my dear and I wave all the colorful flags at you for a successful event! - love -
R

Last edited by Nakrabm on Sat 21 May, 2005 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Nakrabm

PostPost title: Aparna Keshaviah is based in Boston, U.S.A
Posted: Sat 21 May, 2005 8:04 am
Comment with quote

Dear Mamata didi,

Thank you for the invitation. It sounds great and I wish I could attend! This weekend I will begin teaching my first child student--a sweet little girl who is 7 years old. I have thought about how to alter my courses for adults and tailor the knowledge and technique to children. I think it is great that you have developed a whole margam for kids alone! Good luck next weekend and I hope all goes well. Please convey my regards to Bans uncle.

aparna

Last edited by Nakrabm on Sat 21 May, 2005 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Nakrabm

PostPost title: Punam Kumar is a Calgary based Bharata Natya dancer
Posted: Sat 21 May, 2005 8:12 am
Comment with quote

Dear Mamata Aunty,

As usual, your emails could not be more timely! I have been seriously considering how I might start up my own dance classes for children in the evenings. Many people in our community have encouraged me for the last few years, but somehow, I always shy away from it. I have been looking at the personal barriers I feel...and instead of just feeling them, I'm now trying to address them. The biggest barrier I feel is the class plans. What will I teach? How will I do it? What about music? I don't have a thathakali, do I need one? etc. etc.

I have worked out some broad concepts of what I would like to instill in my students to be, and my time @ Kala Bharati has been instrumental. Beyond movement and rhythm, dance can open conversation about inner beauty, devotion, respect, posture and alignment, nutrition....an unending supply of ideas, but how to bare down to specific instruction for a 50 minute time slots? I suppose every new teacher must go through this.

I would so appreciate your thoughts and input on this. Your email on daCi came at precisely the right moment, while I was asking HOW, i saw there are resources. I love being part of this network, even by email. It is so invaluable.

Could you provide more information on Shishu Sadhana repertoire? Is this a curriculum structure and is it available to residency attendees?

Thank you and hope your time in India continues to be fruitful,
Punam
Post a new article   Comment this article    Forum Index > Dance and the Child All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: